Friday, January 2, 2015

Day 3 – Tintaldra to Jingellic (45 km by river 10 km as the crow flies)

It was chilly overnight and we woke to a foggy morning. The campfire from last night was still smouldering and was brought back to life. We stood around drinking our coffee and chatting until it was time to head back to the river.

Much of the paddling today was similar to the previous day. Cautiously approaching river bends and gravel races and enjoying the beautiful scenery. At one point I took a series of photos of Simon coming downstream towards me. Unfortunately when I put the camera back in the day hatch I didn’t close the dry bag. This meant that when I was tipped out a few minutes later my camera and 2 mobile phones drowned.

The drama happened where the river narrowed and rushed between 2 willows. As I went through the current forced the kayak against some branches which caused me to tip out. The kayak became caught up but fortunately I had hung on and was able to kick it clear and then float downstream with to a gravel bank. Simon came through unscathed even though he did practice his backward paddling style and helped me tip the water out and we continued on.



Eventually we reached a caravan park near Walwa where we pulled out hoping to find some lunch. Unfortunately the office was closed which meant no can of coke for Simon and we were left to our limited supplies. We were only 5 km short of Jingellic so we pushed on and shortly after sighted the old bridge pylons and then the pub. It is a picturesque spot and the pub was excellent. The campground out front was free of charge and well populated with grey nomads.


No comments:

Post a Comment