Sunday, November 20, 2016

Day 7 – Marker 1462 to Swan Hill – 52 km

5.14 am Simon bangs on the tent! He wants to make an early start. I knew he was awake because I could hear him playing on his phone. All I wanted to hear was the sound of the forest waking up. I managed to lie in a bit longer before getting up and starting to pack up.

We were on the water paddling at 6.20 am our earliest start of the trip. A hot day is forecast so we wanted to get to Swan Hill early. Despite our record long day yesterday (covered 64 km) we were moving along nicely and after 2 hours had covered 16 km. There wasn’t a good “Get Out” so we kept paddling eventually finding a spot for a quick break. It was on the inside of a bend and has had water run through from the river. Behind it was a billabong area that has plenty of water.

After the break we paddled on looking for a “get out” when we passed a big house boat and were waved to by Donna and Steve. They are from Mannum, SA and have bought the houseboat to live on. Unfortunately they have had some bad luck, engine problems and broken steering. On the lucky side they were able land the boat despite the loss of steering and the locals have given them assistance. We had a nice chat and have exchanged photos.
Donna and Steve

Donna took a couple of photos of us and as we were leaving I remembered my camera was in the pocket of my PFD so I asked to take a picture. Donna had disappeared inside. Steve said "Donna has just gone to get out of her nightie, do you still want a picture?" I told him there was no diplomatic answer to that.

We stopped for lunch on a levee bank that bordered a cattle paddock. The cattle came over to have a look. They weren’t impressed with what they saw so they didn’t get too close. Actually I think they were unimpressed with cheese and crackers again.

After lunch we only had 12 km left to paddle to Swan Hill. The landscape had changed from forest to paddocks and was much drier. It was also getting hot so we were happy to arrive in Swan Hill. We couldn’t find a boat ramp at the caravan park however there were canoe launching steps just 200 metres further. We landed on Level 7 (with level 1 being the lowest) and wandered into the park office and checked in. Then we walked around to the Vline office to find out about buses to Echuca.

I grumbled  the lady taking bookings enquired if I had a “seniors card”. She said her husband had one and I responded “he must be a cradle snatcher”. She suggested she should put “Smart Alec” on the booking but grinned just the same.

I took off on my bus trip to Echuca at about 4.30 and arrived back with my car at 9.30 pm. Simon had a lazy afternoon including a swim in the caravan park pool. After arriving back we shared a beer or two or three and some cheezels and shapes and stayed up to 12 discussing the trip.
With the logistics taken care of, another leg of our Murray journey comes to an end. Next time around - Swan Hill to Mildura!

No comments:

Post a Comment