Sunday, November 11, 2018

Day 7 - Marker 596 to Renmark/Paringa

With only 30 km to Renmark I thought it would be an easy paddle and that I would be there by lunchtime. It took 6 hours and it was extremely hot. The highlight was the scenery and a snake swimming across the river.

I paused at 11.00 am and tuned in to the ABC radio broadcast of the Remembrance Day commemoration. As it was 100th anniversary of the armistice it was a significant day. Lisa’s grandfather Victor Birtwistle was wounded on the Western Front and was damaged for the rest of his life. My grandfather Joseph Browne also served in France

I had photographed a snake swimming across the river yesterday but this time was more exciting. I pursued this snake to get a photo and it stopped and looked right at me as if to say “Come closer I dare you”. Naturally I decided I was close enough.



Arriving at Renmark I struggled to find a suitable “get-out”. There was a big boat ramp but I wasn’t happy that I wouldn’t get in the way of someone launching via the ramp. Other spots were not easy so I decided to paddle on the caravan park at Paringa. It seemed a long extra 4 km but eventually I pulled up on the caravan park swimming beach just near the Paringa Bridge.

I checked in for 3 nights but only stayed for 2 as I was able to collect my car the next day by cycling 140 km in mid 30s temperatures. I was reluctant to stay longer because of the road noise coming from the bridge. Every time a truck crossed the bridge there was a thunderous row. It was also very hot in Paringa – 37 degrees each day and it didn’t cool off until late in the evening. Mosquitoes were driving me into the tent before it cooled down so it was very uncomfortable.




No comments:

Post a Comment