Monday, November 12, 2018

Paringa to Mildura by bike 140 km

I was awake at 4.00 am and had to make myself wait until almost 5.00 am before jumping on my bike and heading into the darkness wearing my Hi-Viz vest and with flashing lights. I knew it would get light in 30 minutes and there was a good shoulder on the road so I wasn’t too concerned. My initial aim was the reach Lake Cullulleraine which was 80 km down the road. If I was finding it too hard I could stop there for the night although I wasn’t really intending any of the sort.

As it happened I was at Roadhouse in LC by 9.30 am and with only another 60 km I knew I could get to Mildura even if it took me all day to go the feast of the way. The heat was on! Literally because it was 36 degrees. A bottle of Diet Coke and some Dim Sims revived me and I set off again.

At 11.00 am I got to Merbein and went into the shop there. I sat on a stool while the shopkeeper made me salad sandwiches. I could feel the sweat pouring off me even though there was cooling  in the shop. The shopkeeper suggested I might enjoy my lunch more if I sat in the shade at the side of the shop. I did enjoy a cold Gatorade and a Ginger beer but couldn’t bring myself to eat the sandwiches.

Refreshed I enjoyed the last 20 km into Mildura and another 5 km to Apex Park where I collected my car. The trip back to Paringa in the car was much easier in air conditioned comfort. A burger and chips by the river in Renmark signalled the end of this leg of my journey down the Murray. I had planned another 4 days but the loss of 2 days meant it was impractical to continue this week and I will have to return another time.





No comments:

Post a Comment